A light versatile first course, especially for grilled zucchini lovers. Zucchini roll ups are a great appetizer when you have heavy first and second courses that will follow.
If you have a garden you probably know how easy it is to grow this speckled green squash. Fresh, home-grown zucchini makes such a huge difference to flavor that you probably want to stick to making this dish in late summer (the end of their growing season) – unless you happen to have access to a farmers market that can provide high-quality greenhouse veggies year-round.
- The filling in the roll up is ripe for experimentation! In particular, you can use whatever meat and cheese your prefer or have on hand. Minced onion, garlic, or shallots would not be out of place either.
Zucchini Roll Ups - Involtini di Zucchine
- 4 zucchini (medium)
- 2 tbs Olive oil
- 1 Egg (medium)
- 2 tbs Grated Parmesan
- 2 - 3 tbsp Breadcrumbs
- 3/4 c (25 g) Chopped parsley (or fresh mint)
- 4 oz Tuna in oil
- Salt and pepper to taste.
(1) Wash and dry the zucchini. Cut 3 zucchini lengthwise into 1/8 – 3/16 slices, then cube the fourth zucchini. Grill the slices, and fry the cubes with a spoon of oil and a pinch of salt. Let the cubed zucchini cool.
(2) Crush the cubes with a fork along with the tuna and tuna oil. Add the egg, Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, salt, and pepper. Add chopped parsley or mint to taste.
- Step 3 (3) Fill the grilled slices with the mixture, then form the roll and insert a toothpick to secure. Place the zucchini rolls on a lightly greased baking dish and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake rolls at 400 °F (200 °C) for about 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.